Monday, March 9, 2020

52 Recipes | Crockpot Chicken Fajita Quinoa Bowls

Cold, winter days are some of my favorite days for setting up the slow cooker. Something about the soft smell of slowly cooking meat and aromatics is so warming. Plus, I feel like most slow cooker meals are so filling as well. Perfect for winter!

Today's recipe is a mix of a couple recipes to make something new. I was really craving fajitas but we didn't have all of the ingredients and I didn't feel like putting all of the necessary work of making them. So, instead, I cooked it all in the slow cooker and then served it over a warm fluffy bowl of quinoa.

Recipe:
I adapted a Woman's Day recipe for Cuban-style Braised Steak and Peppers for this one.

ingredients

  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion 
  • 2 red peppers 
  • 2 cloves garlic 
  • 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp cumin 
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano 
  • kosher salt and pepper 
  • 1 lb. chicken

directions

  1. Slice onions and peppers, mince garlic. Stir the tomatoes and juices, onion, peppers, garlic and apple cider vinegar into the slow cooker. 
  2. Slice the chicken. Season with salt and pepper, cumin, chili powder, and oregano. Place the chicken among the vegetables and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high, depending on your slow cooker.

Adjustments:
According to package directions, I cooked up enough quinoa for our family. Into each bowl, I spooned in some quinoa and then served the chicken and peppers over top. The kids got a little bit of cheese and sour cream. I ate it as is.

Results and Thoughts:
This was a really tasty and easy weeknight fajita option. We will be making this again, regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment