Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Book Report | 2019 Reads Part One

Last year, I got serious about reading again. Between free time laying in bed recovering from surgery and our library joining the OverDrive/Libby network, I was able to finish quite a few more books than I have in the years prior. Or at least it feels that way. Here are the books I read in 2019. It isnt a massive haul but it felt good to be enjoying books again. 


Jesus Calling by Sarah Young // I have some mixed feelings about this devotional. I do enjoy that it gives an easy, daily reading plan. The author's intentions seem genuine. However, it bugs me a little that she provides her thoughts and inferences as Jesus' own words. That is dangerous to me as humans are fallible. Our worldviews and experiences impact how we perceive and study scripture. Writing those thoughts down as messages directly from Jesus, allows for human error to twist the true word of God and in a way contradicts the infallibility and sufficiency of scripture itself.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn // I listened to this during my road trip to San Antonio and I hated that it ended. It is dark, like seriously dark but I could not stop listening. It is twisty and turny in all the right ways and much better than Gone Girl!

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty // This one was kind of meh for me. I listened to it on my way home from San Antonio. I did not feel any particular connection with the characters and if I wasnt in the car for 12+ hours, I would not have finished it. This is a situation where the "twist" was not good. It was convoluted and, after a long weekend that started with amazing writing that was Dark Places, I was having a hard time following this mess. The ending was the best part.

Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens // I absolutely loved the story of Kya Clark! I also really enjoyed the imagery of the swamp and all the different lifeforms within it.

Energy Bus by Jon Gordon // Short, very simple read on shifting mindset. The overall message and practice is great. However, the delivery is a little juvenile. There are probably better books with more in depth with the same message.

You Are The Girl For The Job by Jess Connolly // This is a faith based personal development book. I love that is focuses on being who our Creator made us to be and leaning into His strength and power instead of the false belief that we must do this all ourselves.

I'll share my thoughts about the other six books in a week or two and then it will be onto my 2020 titles. So far I have read four books for myself and I started The Little House series with the kids. I am waiting on four or five holds to become available. What are you currently reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment