Thursday, April 12, 2018

52 Recipes | No. 5 Hominy Burrito Bowls

​One of my favorite recipes growing up was my mom's red enchiladas made with ground beef, red sauce and hominy. A few months ago, I had made some of her enchiladas and had some of the meat mixture leftover. What I had wasn't enough to make a whole other tray of enchiladas so I set it aside in the freezer. After our most recent Disneyland trip, we had not gone grocery shopping yet and I was looking for something to make. I decided to pull out this frozen meat mixture and see what I could do with it.

Recipe:
There isn't a true recipe here. I mixed together roughly a half pound of browned, lean ground beef, a 15ish oz can of hominy, 2 cups cooked pinto beans and 2 cups of red enchilada sauce. I added cumin and chili powder to taste. I served the mixture over jasmine rice, with shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato and sour cream. This is one of those throw together dinners where you could add anything you want.

Results and Thoughts:
For using what we had on hand, this was really good! I was honestly surprised. It probably won't be something we eat regularly but the next time I make my mom's enchiladas, Ill be sure to prepare a little extra meat so we can have this variation of burrito bowls later in the same week.

No comments:

Post a Comment