We are big fans of lasagna over here. So when Inflenster and Ragu tasked me with creating a recipe using Ragu pasta sauce lasagna was an easy choice. For this lasagna, I chose to use mushrooms and bell peppers instead of ground meat. I am really happy with how this turned out. I don't normally use jarred sauce but with the baby I am always looking for ways to make things easier right now. The Ragu really helped speed things up as well as adding great flavored sauce!
Mushroom Whole Wheat Lasagna
- 1 box whole wheat lasagna
- 1 jar Ragu
- olive oil
- 24oz white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 24oz small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp parsley
- shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and lay flat on a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for a minute. Add peppers and saute for another minute or so. Add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Let mushrooms cook until soft. Stir in sauce, salt, and pepper. Let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper. Set aside until ready to assemble lasagna.
- To assemble, spread a little of the mushroom and pasta sauce in a lasagna pan. Layer noodles in the pan, slightly overlapping them. Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture on the noodles. Top with a layer of mozzarella. Add mushroom sauce mixture over the mozzarella.
- Repeat the layering two more times. End with a large helping of mushroom sauce and a "layer" of Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees, covered in foil, for 20 minutes, then remove foil and continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.