Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Southwestern Quinoa

Something I mentioned on Friday has really been weighing in my mind lately. We made this recipe Thursday night and Berkeley mentioned something about sharing the recipe online. I told him probably not because it was "just something I make." Out of nowhere it hit me, I say that all the time about so many of our meals.

I also realized, I have been getting caught up with needing to have the best recipes, the newest and most unique recipes, with stellar photos. For the last year or so, I have been forgetting that I originally started this blog to have documentation of all the random and delicious things I come up with in the kitchen. A place to share the hilarious stories about my failed experiments. Somewhere along the line I forgot that.
Served with a baked chicken thigh
So here it is. A delicious recipe. A great comfort meal. Something that can be eaten alone or as a side or brought to a potluck! It is easy and filling.

Southwestern Quinoa
serves 6-8
ingredients
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups broth or water
  • 1 (approx 14-15 oz) can black beans, drained
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
  • 1 cup corn niblets
  • salt and pepper to taste
directions
  1. Add olive oil and butter to a deep sided pan or a medium to large sized pot. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant. 
  2. Add all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked and liquid is absorbed. 
  3. Remove from heat, add salt and pepper if desired and served. 

No comments:

Post a Comment