Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Project Life {7}: Documenting Life Events

One of the questions I get most about Project Life is about whether or not I am going to specific events and how I am going to do it. The answers are usually yes and I don't know yet, respectively. My documentation of life events varies from event to event and is usually dependent on what ephemera I have collected from the event and the pictures from the event and the rest of the week. If I end up with a lot of photos and stories I want to tell for a specific week and the event, I insert additional pages. Today, I am going to share the ways I documented two bigger events from earlier in the year: Flagstaff BrewHaHa and Color Run Arizona.


Flagstaff BrewHaHa: Week 3 January 19, 2013
Our week was pretty slow prior to this event, but I had a lot of stuff from the Beer Tasting so instead of a two page spread for the whole week, I added a third pocket page using a Design G page. I love this style for inserts! 


For the front of the page, I used a promotional poster from the event. The left side had all the sponsors and locations to purchase tickets. That did not interest me so I cut that off. The part of the poster I did want to use was odd shaped. It was backed with scraps of Kraft paper and then cut to fit the pockets. The Kraft by itself was a little boring, and that is where that patterned paper came into play. On this first page, I also added a press card from Paislee Press and our tickets 
When you turn that page you get the above spread. It includes the backside of the Design G and a Design C page that was already part of my weekly spread. 
 Closeup you can see the rest of Kraft used to back the poster showing through and a lot of the ephemera from our day. In the bottom left pocket is the "recorded winners". That piece was snipped from a journaling card I had messed up on. I try to save as many as messed up cards as possible.
Closeup of the right side of the spread. It is pretty straightforward. A few pictures from our afternoon and documentation using ephemera and journaling cards. 
On the right, I used a 5 senses card from the core kit to document tasting my favorite beer of the event. Adjacent to it is another filler card that I mounted the business card from the brewer to and a label with the beer's name. I love this idea of 5 senses when tasting the beers that I might even make a sheet to bring next year. 

Color Run Arizona 5K: Week 4 January 26, 2013
Instead of using another pocket page for this insert, I changed it up a bit. I utilized the plastic from our race packets. 
 The plastic was a little thinner than the pocket pages so I ran washi tape down the length to give a little more support to the binder holes. There is also washi at the bottom because the bag was a little too long. I liked the press seal at the top so I took the length off the bottom. Inside is our race numbers, wristbands, receipts, and other stuff from the race.
 To get the numbers to stay in place, I put them back to back and poked the safety pins through the plastic on the front of the bag. I did it that way so the rest of the bag can still be accessed. I also date stamped our numbers. Even though it was January 2013, they still gave out 2012 race numbers.
I may or may not have mentioned this before but for my Project Life, I buy the big variety pack that comes with 10 each of Designs A-F. I just put them in alphabetically and repeat throughout the year. Every now and then I change it up a bit if my photos fit a certain page style better. This week just happened to have Design D which is 4-6x6 pockets and it worked perfectly. I used two photo collages and used two pockets for journaling and photos. The upper right pocket has photos and journaling from  our brunch after the race. The bottom left is a 4x6 photo of the finish sign. The journaling is on a card from the kit cut in half. 

Project Life supplies:
Binders, plastics, and 3x4 gridded journaling cards via the Becky Higgins Amazon StorefrontSeafoam Project Life Kit. Zig Dual Tipped Pen BlackStazOn Black InkPaislee Press printables. Recollections Washi Tape. Freckled Fawn Colorful Dots Tape. Martha Stewart and Avery Labels. 

More Project Life posts can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment