Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ten Favorite Christmas Songs

This weekend it will have been a month since the wedding. As great as it turned out, and as magical that day was, I am somewhat relieved that it is over. Berkeley and I are slowly floating back down after our 2 week vacation from everything and acclimatizing back to real life.

We got back home and opened wedding gifts and I fully got to see all the wonderful things we got. Specifically, we got all this awesome kitchen stuff! To be honest, a lot of it came from the bridal showers, but I was so busy and wrapped up in the wedding planning, I hadn't the time to really appreciate it.

Now that the wedding is over, I can get back to the kitchen (wow that sounded a little 1950's). I can get back to do what I love. I can get back to what this blog was about. I can get back to the food!

For me (and I am sure for many), food and Christmastime are rather synonymous. With some of my best Christmas-y memories being cooking and baking with the Christmas songs cranked up!

Although I am not sharing any food stuffs today (come back tomorrow), I am going to be sharing ten of my favorite Christmas songs! I love almost all Christmas songs and could easily have a list of ten for carols, movie specific versions, and classics, but this selection of songs I know EVERY word to! In fact, several of these songs are made reference to or sung at other times in the year, not just Christmastime!

in no particular order
1. All I Want For Christmas 
Growing up, my parents had a stereo system. One of those huge things that had six million components that all sat on top of each other with at least two 3ft speakers. Their's had a record player and my grandmother had a single with two versions of this song on it. I have such a love/hate relationship with this song, but it still carries TONS of memories that I can't not listen to it at least once each year! I prefer the George Strait version, but what I can say, he is a music legend!

2. Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney
This is another that brings on a flood of memories from throughout my whole life! Plus, it is Paul McCartney!

3. Last Christmas by WHAM!
Who doesn't love this song? Please, don't tell me if it's you. I might secretly judge you! Also, 99% of all versions of this song are terrible. For me, its WHAM! or nothing! 

4. Hark the Herald Angels Sing
This was my favorite Christmas Carol to sing in church. To be honest though I love any choir/group singing version of this song. I especially love the peanuts choir singing this song. I feel this song goes hand and hand with Linus' proclamation of the real meaning of Christmas.


5. Jingle Bell Rock
You're Welcome! Haha. 

But seriously, I love this song. It is always fun. We had the Beach Boys' rendition on CD that was continuously played from Thanksgiving past the beginning of the New Year!

6. Baby It's Cold Outside
I know it is such a creepy song if you lay out all the lyrics, but I still love it! Almost every version of this song is great. I do love me some Dolly, but I am partial to this one. Plus the baby hipster in me loves Zooey Deschanel. 

7. One More Sleep 'Til Christmas by Kermit
A Muppet's Christmas Carol is by far my favorite Christmas movie EVER! I love the old claymation classics and the original "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" but they got nothing on Jim Henson. 

8. I'll Be Home for Christmas by Frank Sinatra
Another original in my book, good ole Blue Eyes. I also love the She & Him version Again my baby hipster wins. The first Christmas (2007) Berkeley and I were "dating" we spent Christmas separately. I admit that back then I had some awkwardly serious feelings for him even though we weren't seriously dating. I remember hearing this version of the song and really upset that we weren't together. The next year we weren't dating, but the Christmas after that (2009) I knew going to my parents wasn't going to feel like being home without him with me, because I get all Dory on Berkeley with me "and I look at you and I'm home" feelings. Thankfully, he feels that way too :)

9. The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole or Randy Travis 
As an adult I really just love the richness of Nat King Cole. But as a kid I was obsessed with the Randy Travis cover and only his cover. I thought everything else was detestable!

10. Christmas Time Is Here A Charlie Brown Christmas
To this today, I still watch this movie at least twice each year. The song is simple and the sentiments are perfect. I love this song so much that I even made a paper using the lyrics as part of my holiday/December daily book last year. 

So there you have it! Ten of my favorite Christmas songs! I like to take the Buddy the Elf approach: "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear!" So crank up the Christmas music and spread the cheer!

No comments:

Post a Comment