Monday, January 2, 2012

Savory French Toast

After sharing my bread recipe from the other night, I had a good friend suggest french toast using the bread. So we tried it. I figured the light beer flavor might taste funny with the typical powdered sugar, peanut butter, and syrup mess that is traditional French Toast around here. I tried my hand at something a little more grown up.

Savory French Toast
ingredients
  • 4 thick slices of beer bread
  • 1 cup lowfat milk
  • 2 eggs
  • freshly grated parmesan
  • unsalted butter
  • salt and pepper
procedure
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter a small shallow baking dish. Arrange bread in 1 layer in dish (it's important that your bread only just fit in the dish).
  2. Whisk together milk, egg, and a little salt and fresh pepper. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with cheese.
  3. Press the bread lightly to help absorb egg mixture. Let stand until fully absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
  4. Dot with butter and bake, uncovered, until puffy and golden, 20-25 minutes.
review: Delicious! Plain and Simple. I am looking forward to seeing the difference with plain bread. This was definitely a change from standard. The cheese, egg, and butter made a great crust on the outside. The inside was soft and creamy. Oh man! It was great! Now, I am on a quest to find a nice sauce/syrup to go on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment