Monday, January 30, 2012

Hunger Games: A Review

I rarely read the books that every one else is reading. I rarely like anything that is too overtly science fiction-y. I rarely read anything that is labeled as Young Adult, even when I was in the age group most of those types of thing were targeted for. The only exception being the Harry Potter series. But then again, who really hasn't gone there?

Given all of those rarely's listed above, I found myself surprised at my desire to get into The Hunger Games. I dragged my feet. I hummed and hah-ed at the idea. Then all of Blogland started going on and on about these books. And now there is a movie coming out (and I understand why). So with part of the Amazon gift cards I got for Christmas, I went for it. Boy, I am so glad that I did!

I could barely separate myself from the book after reading the first chapter. The plot seized me in a tight grip with Suzanne Collins' poignant, thoughtful, and exciting narrative. Every good book is exciting though. What puts The Hunger Games on a different level is the complex plot that is both heartwarming and disturbingly brutal. To be honest, I have never read some so violent without making me uncomfortable. It was complicated reaction that kept drawing me back in. I am in awe with how addicting this book was.

If you have no clue about The Hunger Games brief synopsis goes something like this (taken from Amazon.com):
"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed."
I highly recommend reading this book! Even more so if you have the smallest plans for going to see the movie coming out this spring. I find that every book is greater than its theatrical counterpart and the trailer for this movie is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment