For this particular recipe, I used a higher quality root beer and used it as the base for the sauce. Berkeley's parents had brought us a growler of Root Beer from Old Bisbee Brewing Company. It was very definitive of sassafras root and other strong herbal elements. It is definitely an old fashioned root beer.
BBQ Pulled Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts
- 12 oz root beer
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 lg clove garlic sliced
- 18 oz BBQ sauce
- salt and pepper
- hamburger buns
- Clean excess fat off of the breasts. Season with salt and pepper and anything else you like.
- Add onion and garlic on and around the breasts. Then gently pour the root beer over the chicken, onions and garlic. For an extra kick, add a small amount of hot sauce. (I used a household favorite Tapatio)
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until the meat is tender and easily pulled apart with a fork.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred. Drain the root beer and either set aside for the sauce, or discard. Add BBQ sauce and simmer on low for another hour.
- Add the meat to toasted hamburger buns and Enjoy!
This recipe has been linked up to tatertots and jello's weekend wrap up!