Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Favorite Lunch Snack

Grilled cheese is my all time favorite comfort food. Not only is it delicious, it is so easy to alter and change up to make new. It is an old standby for most people, so I am sure I don't need to really make a full on "recipe" post.

This past week, the monthly visitor has left me feeling rather drained and ill feeling. So grilled cheese has been on my lunch menu a few times this week. After making the Gnocchi and Cheese, there was plenty of nutty, creamy fontina left over. To change up the flavor, I grated up fontina and mixed it with shredded aged cheddar and a sprinkle of Parmesan. I also added tomato slices that had been seasoned with blend of garlic, salt and pepper.

We have a cast iron flat top pan so I normally don't use butter on the bread, but light olive oil instead. The outside is crispy and warm without being overly greasy. The mixture of cheeses really complimented each other. The tomato added depth without being too heavy under the cheese.

So there it is, a small update about a small variation on an old classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment