Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Weekly Roundup

I have been a little absentee from the blog and my usual postings. Sickness has taken over the house, taking its toll on both BK and I, more so him than me. He has been doing an awesome job at taking care of me. I have been so busy just keeping up with minimal school work that I have had little time for blogging.

Happy Homemaker Monday has had to wait the past two weeks. So tonight's post is a modified HHM post. The full Happy Homemaker post would have been done this week but BK and I went to our first NHL game together on Monday. We drove the 2 hours to Phoenix, spent the day wandering around, ate dinner at Margaritaville, and settled in for the hockey game. Unfortunately BK's team of choice did not win, but both teams played an awesome game, up until egos got in the way.

It was a fun time. Since it was a Monday, the arena was only about 55% full. We plan on going again in April. That will be on a weekend, so hopefully it will be a crazier hockey game. This experience also was an exercise in patience and restraint. I wont talk about it too much, but I am proud of my response to a situation that presented itself during the last period of the game.

During the different illnesses I have been experiencing in the past few weeks, I have been trying different things to help ease my body and relieve the effects of being sick. The biggest aid, especially with the bronchitis, has been Mucinex aka guaifenesin. Before taking it, I had this feeling of blockage deep in my chest that made it feel impossible to obtain a fully saturated breath. I was beyond just tired. Breathing felt impossible. After a quick chat with my mom, I starting taking the Mucinex and it made a world of difference.

The most comforting thing I have discovered is my enjoyment of chamomile tea! I normally drink darker teas like black english tea with a splash of cream. To avoid increasing the mucus buildup by consuming diary, I opted for the foreign (to me) tea mix. I added a little bit of lemon and honey and it has been a great little treat. The warm drink loosened up whatever was remaining in my respiratory tract and relaxed me.

The tea has also been a great way to warm up during the cold weather. Especially when the lows are in the single digits and well below 0 when the wind chill is factored in. This has been one of the driest winters here in Flagstaff. While most of the country is getting rain and epic snow fall like the what is being dubbed Blizzard of Oz in Chicago, we are just getting painfully dry, cold winds.

Well that is the overall summary of what has happened the past two weeks. Not too much to report on. It has been slow and slightly miserable. I hope everyone has been having a much better week than I. Look for a more normal Happy Homemaker Monday next week!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I hope both you and BK feel better soon! I also hope that whatever your situation was is resolved and things are better now... and if you need someone to talk to, I'm here :)

Blizzard of Oz is cute! Here we just experienced the "snowpocalypse", we are up to around 14 inches now. :/

Post a Comment