Tuesday, August 31, 2010

News

This post comes to you from a bittersweet place. This past week has a long a bumpy road, with many exciting things happening and some low points. My lack of posting is due to the start of the school year and other events in my personal life. I know, I normally don't sprinkle too many personal details into this blog, but sometimes it is needed.

Over the weekend, I jumped into creating an etsy.com shop. I am hoping this will pan out and can create extra income for me, as I am currently paying off my last year of my undergraduate degree. So far, I have two listings up for custom orders of the giraffe letters in sets of 3 and 4. I am in the process of posting listings for single letters, plain letters, and polka dot letters. The three projects I have done, were/are made as gifts! That means everything that is being used as listings is money out of the pocket. So please, if you like what you see, spread the word! My shop can be found on etsy at nine14design.etsy.com

In one of my most recent posts, I introduced part of my family and my plan to work my way through 50 Lopez family recipes. With a heavy heart, I dedicate the rest of this week's meals to my Tita Celia Lopez Lima, who at the age of 91, passed away early Tuesday morning. Tita Celia was the first child of my great great grandparents Juan and Encarnacion Lopez. In her honor, tonight's dinner is Pizza and Pepsi. Not quite a Spaniard delicacy, but one of her favorites! Later this week, I will be making my first of the family recipes including fresh cranberry jello and moon cake, both of which were her recipes.

If ever there was more adequate time to start this project than, I do not know of it. I am so happy to know that I was able to see my great grandfather on my most recent trip to California. My only hope is that now that Tita Celia is with Uncle Joe, this will not be a trend. As selfish as it sounds, I want my family around as long as possible. I want next May to be here soon, so I can take time off to spend time with them and learn first hand, the ways of our family!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. I actually teared up while reading this (blame the pregnancy, or the fact that despite we are over a thousand miles apart I feel like we have become good friends and a loss for you in your family makes me sad as well)... I love that you are dedicating meals to her, what a fabulous idea.

I hope the semester started out well for you!

Ashley Armstrong Krueger said...

Thanks. I am glad that you feel like we are good friends, because I feel that way too! I didn't want to be the only weird that thought it.

Post a Comment