This soup was just what the doctor ordered when we were all sick the last weekend of July and first week of August. It is mellow with not too much flavor that it over powers you while being sick, but enough to let you taste it all when your senses are impaired from being sick. As with most soup recipes, be careful because it is easy to completely drown it all with salt. Salt is such a sneaky little bandit and can be hiding in anything! And it can easily worsen dehydration that happens when you are ill!
This one is a crockpot recipe so you can set it and forget it, which is perfect for being a sickie. Or for men that don't want to slave over a hot stove for their sick sweetie! This recipe makes a lot! Any extras leftover can freeze easily in a freezer bag or freezer safe container.
Ashley's Under the Weather, Feel Much Better CrockPot Chicken Soup
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped
- 3 c low sodium chicken broth
- 2 c water
- 3 lg carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 8 oz dried medium wide egg noodles
- frozen peas
- salt to taste (carefully)
- Chop the fresh vegetables into same sized pieces. Cut chicken into chunks. Place in crockpot. Add pepper, parsley, and oregano.
- Gently pour chicken broth and water in. Stir gently. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add the dried pasta and desired amount of frozen peas. Cover and finish cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.