Monday, July 26, 2010

An Experimental Dinner

So we have been so busy that we haven't had the time to really go grocery shopping. Every time we go to Sam's Club we get a flat of chicken. We break it down and use it for awhile. Most of the time, some gets BBQ-ed right away and some gets broken into chunks for Indian Butter Chicken, and cooked and shredded for Chicken Enchilada Casserole. This time we didn't BBQ or make casserole. So I was left with a better portion of chicken. I didnt feel like using a crapload of freezer bags just to throw them away. So I puled out a gallon sized one. Bad idea. The chicken turned into a frozen rock that has taken 4 days to thaw.

So Monday night, I made a thrown together dinner. We only had 1 can of chili and that is barely enough to feed two of us. So I beefing up began. I started by making green chili cornbread. Then I boiled some frozen shrimp. The shrimp was boiled in a fluid mixture of green chili sauce, hot sauce, water, and herbs and spices.

Next I sauteed and onion, garlic and green bell pepper until the onion was translucent. I added the canned chili, 1/2 can of chickpeas, and 1/2 can of water and simmered on low heat. Lastly, I added the cooked and peeled shrimp and mixed it all evenly.

I served the chili mixture over a square of cornbread. For a meal that was slammed together, I was delightfully surprised with how it turned out. It was packed full of veggies and meat, and proteins, and most importantly, Flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment