Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cheese Fiend

Many of my readers know that I LOVE CHEESE!! I love everything from string cheese to the smelliest, funkiest provolone! I admit there are some cheeses I dislike such as Roquefort and Bleu Cheeses and the more sour tasting. But ever cheese has its place. Yesterday I was really wanting Mac n Cheese. So the hunt for a recipe ensued.

First of all, I HATE any kind of mac n cheese from a box, carton or microwavable bowl. The orange powder is horrible. Not only in flavor but in nutrition as well. There are several medical reports about the chemicals in the cheese powder turning the internal organs orange. I don't know about you, but I ain't putting that crap in my body. I mean who really thinks powdered cheese and powdered starch (easy mac cups) sounds appetizing? Not me! No Way! To be quite honest, I have been making Mac and Cheese stovetop or in the oven for almost six years now. If I don't have a stove, I ain't having Mac and Cheese.

While I have plenty of recipes for fancier oven dishes, the house is very well insulated and holds in heat. I wanted a recipe for something that could be made in the Crock! Big mistake. After researching, I found something calling for low heat for 3 hours. The ingredient list was simple and the amount of cheese required, really called to me. It was already late in the day, so 3 hours was a great time line.

This recipe was a bad choice. Not because it was gross, because the flavors were great. I used some of my favorite cheeses. Most of the noodles fell apart and turned into mush. Honestly, after three hours of simmering and cooking, it was some of the best tasting mush ever. The cheese flavor was great. And the chicken I added was moist. I would take last night's over the blue box any day.

I will post the recipe but there will be a disclaimer on it. This will be one to watch to make sure it doesn't get overcooked. I may play with this a little as well to see if I can add something to the mix to keep it moist and keep the noodles in tact. We shall see though. The guys really liked it and both had large servings. So I guess it was good in their eyes too.

I am a little behind with posting recipes, but I will get on it. Hopefully, I can get things done in the next few days. August is going to be a busy month for me. I had a good and comfortable workspace set up to type and do general blogging, but my laptop is not happy, and someone is sleeping in the office. So once again, blogging has become a chore.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I have recently been obsessed with mac & cheese... I blame the baby. :) but seriously, I have been downing a box a day, sometimes two. It has been box, but not kraft because for some reason I cannot stand the taste of kraft, and because my grocery store had dinosaur shapes on sale in the store brand, and since I love dinosaurs I had to go with that. It is definitely not the greatest, but it has satisfied the craving.

I'm excited for this recipe because I have been DYING to try my own mac & cheese but have yet to find a recipe that I think would be delicious. I also LOVE using my crockpot, so this will be a winner all around :)

Post a Comment