Friday, November 20, 2015

Friday Five | Things I Am Looking Forward To This Season


Tis the season! It is the most wonderful time of the year! Deck the Halls! Let it Snow Let it Snow Let it Snow!

Since I was little, I have always waited for this coming weekend with bated breath. Growing up, we were in year round school. Each "track" was in school for 3 months and then had a whole month's vacation with a two week summer vacation between school years. The track we were on had December vacation but with the holidays we were out of school the day before Thanksgiving and didn't go back until the first week of January. Who doesn't love having 6 weeks off of your job (or school in this case)?!

Of course as the years go by you get older and have other obligations that don't allow you to just take six weeks off. As such, the magic of the season had faded a little. It got muddled by everything else that has to be done in between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

This year is different though. I haven't been this excited about the winter holiday season for quite sometime. I am sure motherhood has something to do with it. Let's be honest. It has a lot to do with it. However, there are some other things that I am looking forward to and I am going to share a few of them below.

Thanksgiving Family Camp // My family has been doing some variation of a Thanksgiving Camping trip since my dad was a kid and this year we are joining them. I am so excited for this. I haven't been able to do this trip for over 10 years! Now it is something I get to share with both Berke and the baby. This usually ends up being a trip with several of our family and friends' families being there. Nothing makes it feel more like the holidays than being surrounded by those you love!

Baking // Our holidays were always marked by the baking of very specific recipes. These are treats that are only made this time of year. I am hoping that while we are visiting family we can do a great deal of baking. Also, Berkeley's 30th birthday is coming up and I have an awesome surprise in the works!

Seasonal Lay Off // I used to dread Berkeley's lay off at the end of Fire Season which could be any time between late September and early November. With his promotion in this past spring came the possibility of a longer season. He has worked later this year than any year previous and will be starting early than ever before. We were able to get enough saved to cover our needs during his seasonal lay off that he won't need to find a winter job unless he wants to. It will be the first time for us as a couple that neither one of us is dictated by having to work holidays. Once Berkeley is laid off, the rest of the year will be ours to what we want, when we want!

The Food // There is just something about winter to food that makes it so much better than food any other time of the year. No matter how fatty or healthy it is every fall/winter dish seems so warm and filling!

Christmas Morning // Between having the baby and not having to work Christmas this year, I am looking forward to Christmas Morning so much! I can not wait to pass along our traditions and family traditions to the baby.

That's my list. How about you? What are looking forward to this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment