The newborn stage is a rough stage, especially for a nursing mother. Not only is the baby dependent on you for all of his/her sustenance, you are getting up several times throughout the night and you are always "on call". For me, I was left feeling exhausted, hungry, and craving all the sweets! Add in a husband currently living four hours away and I was starting to feel a little crazy.
This is where these little nuggets come into place. I can grab a few "bites" and sit down to nurse. I can satiate my sweet tooth and urge to snack all at once. I will admit this idea isn't novel or unique. Everyone has a recipe for energy/protein balls/bites. After a few hours of going through recipes, I couldn't find one that fit everything I wanted in an easy snack and utilized on hand ingredients so I came up with my own recipe. This one uses almond butter and unsalted butter, and leaves out the coconut.
No Bake Almond Butter "Energy Bites"
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of almond butter (mine was a little "dry" since I used homemade so I did 1/3c almond butter and 1/4c unsalted butter. If you use store bought nut butter you don't need the unsalted butter)
- 1/4 c of mini chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds
- Thoroughly combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Chill the mixture for approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- Form the chilled "dough" into 1-inch balls.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge.