Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Slow Cooker Curried Lentils and Chicken

For some reason, pregnancy has left me completely apathetic to cooking and food. I have little desire to spend any time thinking about what I want for dinner, let alone actually being in kitchen. I haven't even really had cravings! It is pretty sad, really. Every now and then, I get a small wisp of something that could be craving and I find the easiest way to satiate the need. That is how I whipped up these curried lentils.

As a side note, I used ingredients that were more in line with my dietary restrictions and what I had at home. Culturally, coconut milk is used in curry dishes, instead I used almond milk as I am allergic to coconut. I also cut out the white potatoes I would normally used and subbed in carrots and kale which I had on hand. Lastly, Berkeley and I like spice so we use a lot of curry powder.

ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups green lentils
  • 1 lbs carrots, washed and sliced into pieces 
  • 3 stalks kale, roughly chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped 
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped 
  • 1 Tbsp yellow curry powder plus more
  • 1 tsp ginger 
  • kosher salt and black pepper 
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth 
  • 2 cups almond milk
  • Approx. 1 3/4 lbs chicken (I used breasts and thighs)
  • sour cream or plain yogurt
directions:
  1. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the lentils, carrots, kale, onion, garlic, curry powder, ginger, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the broth and almond milk. 
  2. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and curry powder. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours. 
  3. Fifteen minutes before serving, shred the meat; return it to the slow cooker.  Stir to combine, adding more water if necessary to reach the desired consistency. Serve topped with the sour cream or yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment