Thursday, June 12, 2014

Our Story

So one of the blogs I read regularly is Sometimes Sweet and every week Danielle does a journal prompt day. This week's prompt was something I feel like I haven't touched on here to this point. I feel it was perfect as a jumping off point for what is to come.
"Let's talk about love. Do you believe in the idea of a soulmate? Do you think there is one person for everyone- and do you think that no matter what, if you're "supposed" to meet that person you will? This week, talk about your experience with love and discuss what you believe, and also be sure to touch on what helped shape those beliefs."
I never believed in love at first sight, one true loves, and knights in shining armor. I never believed in fairytales. I must certainly did not believe in soul mates or that there was only one person in the world for me. Then, I met Berkeley! Now, I am not saying that he was the end all be all of my life from the moment we met, but our story is the story that made me rethink what I believed in the past.
march two thousand nine -- aww wee little babes
Berkeley and I first met in late 2007 while we both were attending Northern Arizona University. We had some mutual friends and we were seeing each other at our mutual friends' social events, around campus, and on our friends' social media. For a few months we asked after one another and then Berke found a way to contact me and invited me to Thanksgiving in his college apartment. After the invitation, we both realized that we had never spent any one on one time prior to that. We had been in social situations together with other friends, and spent a lot of time texting, but never the two of us just hanging out.

The moment I walked through the door, I just felt at ease in his presence. Thanksgiving was great and we continued to spend a ton of time together. We didn't have to try. There was no awkward getting to know you phase and it took no effort to make our friendship work. Those first few months of just being friends there was just something about Berkeley that made me feel so comfortable and so at home. Unfortunately, the next semester got in the way and we slowly drifted apart, but I still couldn't shake that feeling.

Eight months had passed and we were both in serious relationships with other people when we ran back into each other. The fall semester of 2008 we ended up taking Statistics the same days a week in the same room with Berke's class being right before mine. We caught glimpses here and there as one was leaving or the other was arriving. Then one day, Berkeley came up to me and said "You look like you need a hug. Is everything okay?" There was nothing outwardly wrong with me, but I had been struggling with some stuff in my personal life at the time and, just from looking at me, he knew.
december two thousand ten
From here, I could on and on about how our friendship became love and how we were meant to be and all that jazz, but I am not. The moment my mind changed has nothing to do with romance, love, or lust. It was that moment in the hallway. It was the moment that my best friend just knew, came over and hugged me because it was exactly what I needed. If you know me at all, you know I am not a hugger.

It was at that moment that my soul felt like it let out a sigh of relief and felt "home at last". I knew then that Berkeley was my soulmate. I should stop here and say that I believe that a soulmate doesn't have to be a romantic partner and for awhile we were nowhere near romantically involved. I believe that your soulmate is not always your sole mate, but I just happened to be lucky in that aspect. And maybe it is a crazy notion, but I am choosing to believe that I was supposed to find Berkeley and I feel like he is the one person in the world that truly complements ( I don't think one individual completes any one else) who I am.

What about you? How do you feel about love and soul mates and all that?

No comments:

Post a Comment