Cuba Libre Cupcakes
cupcakes (high altitude)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 3 cups minus 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup spiced rum + more for drizzling
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp confectioners sugar
- zest of 3 limes
- splash of lime juice
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp confectioners sugar
- 3 Tbsp reduced cola or cola extract
- Preheat your oven to 350* Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, roughly 3-4 minutes. Add the salt and vanilla. Beat in the egg whites one at a time, blending each into the batter before adding the next.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, and baking powder in a bowl. Add the flour mixture and cream and wine alternating between the three, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Stop mixing and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat on high speed for 10 seconds.
- Portion the batter into lined muffin cups. Fill 2/3 full. Bake for about 18 minutes or until the centers spring back when lightly touched. Cool completely. While baking cupcakes start making filling and frosting.
- Whisk together the cream, confectioners' sugar, and lime zest in a bowl until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar and coke. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Once cupcakes are cool, use a small sharp knife to cut a 1 inch circle through the top of the cupcake. Gently core the cupcake. Lightly drizzle in glaze and rum. Replace cupcake core.
- Gently spread glaze over top of the cupcake and add the whipped topping! Then Enjoy!