Thursday, September 5, 2013

Lifeway Kefir and a Smoothie Recipe

The last time there was a huge loss in my immediate family I was 16. I was a kid with no real commitments besides finishing the last two weeks of my junior year of high school. This time things have been a lot different. Mainly, it is the fact that life goes on. Your library books are still due, you still have to pay rent, work is calling, and you have to come through on your obligations (hence this post). 
Back in August, I was sent a voucher for Lifeway Kefir. I was apprehensive about it. I have heard it is similar in taste and consistency to yogurt. I am not the biggest yogurt fan so I figured I would pass it along to Berkeley and he could do the review. Much to my surprise, he told me outright that he HATES "that shit"! So I trekked to the supermarket and got a bottle of the Organic Lowfat Pomegranate Açaí Smoothie. 
I was nervous but I still poured a small glass and took a drink. Even more surprising than Berke's reaction was the fact that I enjoyed it. I thought it was delicious and quickly finished my small glass. The next morning, instead of the small thing of yogurt I put in my smoothie (recipe below), I grabbed the Kefir. 

The flavor is subtle and it was not as tart as I was expecting it to be. The probiotics and fermentation process give Kefir a light effervescence that really sets it apart from plain ole yogurt. In the smoothie, the slight tart flavors of the Pomegranate and Açaí plays well with the sweetness of the mango. It is definitely my go to now instead of a yogurt base. 

Mango Pomegranate Kefir Smoothie
ingredients
  • 1/2 c Lifeway Kefir Pomegranate Açaí Smoothie
  • 1/4 c ice
  • 1/2 Mango
  • 1/8 c uncooked oats
directions
  1. Throw all the ingredients in the blender and pulse until smooth. Pour into a tall glass and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment