Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Broiled Shrimp and Cheese Grits

Here's another post in which I fool my husband into thinking I can cook Southern comfort food! A few months back I posted a shrimp recipe that I tend to use for my shrimp needs. We were a little pressed for time and I was not feelings the super spice that the recipe requires. I did some research about cook times and came up with an alternative. It is so easy and fast! Tonight I served it over my standard cheese grits.


Broiled Shrimp
makes 2-3 servings
ingredients
  • 3/4 lbs. 51-60 shrimp peeled and deveined with tails removed
  • 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbsp seasonings (Creole, Cajun, Old Bay will all work)
  • 5 dashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
directions
  1. Preheat oven to broiler setting. While oven is heating arrange shrimp in a single layer on a baking sheet or casserole depending on size and amount of shrimp. 
  2. Drizzle with olive oil, add cracked pepper on top them sprinkle with seasonings. Lastly dash hot sauce over top. 
  3. Put shrimp under broiler with rack in the middle of the oven. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until firm, opaque and pinkish. More or less depending on the size of the shrimp. Serve with grits.
Cheesy Grits
3 servings
ingredients
  • 3/4 c. grits
  • 3 c. water
  • 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, grated
  • salt and pepper to taste
directions
    Cook grits according to the directions for mine it is:
  1. Bring water to a brisk boil. Gently whisk grits into water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
  2. Once the grits thicken, remove from heat. Whisk in grated cheese until thoroughly incorporated. 
Putting it all together
  1. I usually put the shrimp into the oven when the water for the grits is just starting to boil. The shrimp will take a few minutes longer than the grits. 
  2. Once both the grits and shrimp have both finished cooking, ladle the grits into a recessed dinner plate or bowl then place the shrimp over top. Finish by drizzling the remaining cooking fluids over top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment