Thursday, October 4, 2012

Quilt by Christmas Challenge

As if I didn't have enough on my plate with trying to revamp the shop, turn this blog around, plan a wedding, and actually enjoy it, I am jumping into another project! Crazy, I know.

While I was in California, I spent a full day with my Grandma Jacque. My whole life she has always been "in progress" on some project or another. It has always been some sort of sewing i.e.: needlepoint, cross-stitch, dressmaking, stuffed animals and home decor pieces. When her and my grandpa built their new house, my grandma started a new hobby: quilting!

Our bed quilt made by my grandma

She makes beautiful quilts. All sorts of designs, and styles. Quilts as gifts and quilts as donations. Large quilts, small quilts, quilts quilts quilts. (sorry felt a little Seuss-y). Anyways, back to why I started this post. My grandma told me to dig through her scraps and take whatever I wanted when I mentioned some owls and ladybugs I have been making. While I was digging through the pile, I got the sudden urge to make a simple quilt. I grabbed all these different shades of greens and blues and even some purples.


Now I am back in Flagstaff. In my tiny apartment, with no space, with all these "scraps" and a crazydesire to make a quilt. This is where Quilt by Christmas comes into play. This morning Elise posted a challenge and invited others to join. She is embarking on 4 quilts by Christmas and, for her, public declarations of intentions are a huge motivator. I think that may just be the key for me to getting this quilt done! 


Why the deadline of Christmas? Even though this quilt is for me, I want it to be done in time for the holidays. I want to be able to unfold it and show my grandma the hard work and the effort I have put into a sewing project. It has been years since I have been able to do that.  I know it won't be perfect, but it is important that I share with her. She is the one that taught me how to use a sewing machine. She is the one that gave me the money for a machine of my own. So please ask me about it, push me towards it, bug me for progress posts, and berate me to get this quilt done!

P.S. Shout-out to my GFC followers! I noticed some new names over there. To the new followers Welcome to my blog and to all of you thanks for following along with our adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment