This particular recipe makes 6-8 servings depending on your crowd. We are smack dab in the middle of Fire Season so almost half was gone during dinner with the other half being taken for lunch the next day. I really feel like my cooking is awesome when Berkeley asks me to make sure there are extras to take to work.
Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuit Crust
|Click to enlarge|
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 Yukon Gold potato, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- i cup shredded sharp cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cup biscuit mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- To make the filling cook onion, carrot, celery, potatoes and peas in butter or olive oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat until almost tender. Salt and Pepper to taste. Add in cooked chicken.
- While the vegetables are cooking, preheat oven to 400*F and start the cheddar gravy by melting butter in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir in cheese until melted. If the gravy is too thick, add a little more chicken broth to loosen.
- Add gravy to filling mixture. Place filling and gravy into a casserole baking dish or cake pan.
- Mix all the biscuit ingredients together. Thinly spread batter over top of the mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400*F for 20-25 minutes until the topping is golden brown and gravy is bubbly.
I usually add the filling first and then pour the gravy over depending on how much filling I use and which baking vessel I am cooking in. Usually I bake it in a cake or pie pan and not all of the filling mix always fits. For a heartier pie, we use a deeper casserole and increase the amount of gravy made.