Monday, December 12, 2011

Minibook Monday//Another Sneak Peek

So back in November when I attended Elise's Minibook workshop at Teahouse Studios (I totally recommend checking out their workshops for the new year), I started work on two books on the second day. The first was a typical book ring book like the others I have shown here. Like I previously mentioned, I picked a landscape orientation instead of the portrait so I spent a great amount of time cropping my photos to fit the change. The second book employed an accordion style spine instead of the rings. Originally, we started with enough of a spine for 6-8 double sided pages. I ended up bringing way more photos for this book than needed. I never finished it at the workshop but Elise was kind enough to let us grab extras if needed.

As the title says, this post is just a sneak peek. I would get in depth with this post, but I don't want to ruin the surprise for the person we are sending it to as a Christmas gift! I did want to share the progress and some of the methods used so far.

Now, roughly a month later I have finally been able to work on it and push towards the end. Just in time for sending it out to the recipient! I added two more lengths of the spine paper and got busy adding the rest of pictures and pages. I am so excited about this book!

The spine of this book is made by taking a piece of thin cardstock as long as you want and as tall as you want the height of the book to be. For example this book is 3.5x5in so my spine strips were at least 12 inches wide and 5 inches tall. Using bone folder, I scored every 3/4's of an inch the width of the strip, then folded on those scores back and forth just like an accordion. As I went along I continued to add more lengths of spine paper. Just leaving the spine like this will result in a floppy book. As the book gets finished I will be adding stitching to hold the pages together and then pull the spine in tighter. The anticipation of sharing this is killing me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment