Thursday, February 24, 2011

Blogging For Books: Lady in Waiting

One of my goals for this year is to start reading more books for pleasure. School has really weighed me down when it comes to that. In fact, I had really started loathing reading. And that is not someone I ever want to be. So when I saw Blogging for Books on other blogs, I decided to give it a try. So here is my first review.

Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner
"Her whole life, Jane has done what others wanted, or expected, her to do. Or so she thought. But when her husband of 22 years leaves her, she is forced to start living life for herself. Along the way, she finds a ring from the 16th century, inscribed with Latin, and one word in English- JANE. Lady Jane is the second cousin to the King. She has so few choices in her life, no choice in her betrothal, no choice in her station in life. But finally, almost too late, she realizes she does have some control over her life. What can the Jane from yesterday teach the Jane of today? "

I really enjoy reading novels in which the author dovetails two different character stories. Most of the time, author's fail to fully develop the plot and/or main characters. I also love learning about history, especially when it comes to the Tudors. Susan Meissner did a great job capturing and progressing the story between both Jane Lindsay and Lady Jane Grey. To be honest, I was apprehensive of the plot, fearing that the Lady Jane story would be too unrealistic to me and that the story of Jane Lindsay would read like a romance novel. I am happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the whole novel.

The story of Jane Lindsay was down to earth and followed a woman trying to find herself. The means by which she happens upon the ring was a probable one and seemed to be a tool in helping her discover her true desires. I loved that she had a true reaction to things that happened in the story not some exaggerated, lust filled road through lovers that is commonly found in romance novels. I could relate to Jane Lindsay and was rooting for her along the way.

Lady Jane's story was my favorite part of the book by far. Not only did it follow the Lady, it also backhandedly told the story of the Lady's fictional dressmaker and confidant Lucy Day. The story blended the historical facts quite well with a fictional story that introduces the ring and it's path from Lady Jane to Jane Lindsay. It made the whole journey of both Janes complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment