Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Squash Experimenting

The last Sunday of the Farmer's Market, we picked up two butternut squash. One was used in my version of a Squash Makhani. The second I used for experimenting last night. I spent most of the day looking through websites trying to find something. I came across this recipe for stuffing the squash. I am so unhappy with the result, I am not going to do a full post.

The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the flesh of the squash out without ruining the shell. The recipe (and many others) say roast the squash at 400 for 40 minutes and it should be easy to scoop out. It wasn't. At 40 minutes it was still hard. In the process of getting the flesh out, I cracked one half of the squash so it ended up laying flat. The other half ended up with a hole in it from the skin peeling off with a section of the meat.

After cooking the filling, which was the best part, I put it all into the squash for the listed 20-25 minutes. We started to eat and the squash itself was quite bland. It was dull and rubbery. We saved some of the leftover flesh and squash shell and later this week I am going to try making soup with it. Stuffing Squash will need to be revisited at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget