Monday, November 29, 2010

Put Me Out of My Misery

Wow! It has been a long week! Thanksgiving was a huge success. Both of them. Wednesday was our Thanksgiving dinner with the neighbors J-man and Shark. Berke made the turkey and he used the Weber grill to cook it. Hopefully, he will make a posting of his own with how he did it and the recipe for the brine he used. It was delicious.

To round out the dinner, we had yams, green bean casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberries and bread. Of those, we made the yams, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and cranberries. I'll put some recipes up a little later. It was a great spread. Our fridge is still PACKED and we were well fed. There is nothing like spending a relaxing stress free holiday dinner with good people. Then, Thursday afternoon, we headed across town for a potluck dinner with people from church.

The downside of the past week has been work. So far I have worked every day since Wednesday, including Thanksgiving day, and have two more shifts this week. I am a little worn. Wednesday is going to be a welcomed day. It will give me a chance to prepare for the weekend.

In church there is really only one other couple the same age as Berkeley and I and their Baby Shower is on Friday. I am tackling the task of building a Diaper Cake for them. Yikes! I am basing it off of Alphamom Chris Jordan's tutorial. So far so good, for the most part. I have two minor roadblocks. First, I ran out of diapers. Not a huge deal.

Secondly, I am not sure how to decorate it. The couple have decided to not find out the sex of the baby until birth, and want all browns and oranges. The color ribbon I have is a thick brown glitter type ribbon, and a thinner, dark sheer green. I want to put some kind of doll or something on it... but what? We found some small woodland owl ornaments that I was thinking of using, but they aren't right. Too small and not quite, cutesy enough.

The other idea is using stuffed felt owls to decorate. I would use a template similar to the ones pictured here. Also, I was thinking of making a smaller one as a rattle. I could pick colors and patterns to fit the ribbon I have. I also purchased a diaper stacker for them to hold all the unwrapped diapers I gave them. This requires time for me to make the owls though. The upside, felt is easy and fast to work with.

Friday, after the shower, is Berke's 25th Birthday Bash!! It is gonna be a Ugly Sweater themed party as well. So next week, expect MANY posts and recipes filled with pictures and tutorials and recipes for all the stuff we ended up doing.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm pretty sure those owls are the cutest things ever! I seriously love them.

As for a doll type thing you could use, I recommend Sack Boy. http://ny-image3.etsy.com/ialcr_fullxfull.22267.jpg
Maybe I'm just biased, but I love him (from the video game Little Big Planet) and he could go with either a boy or a girl... we may or may not have bought one for Elly :D

Unfortunately that would mean spending more money, but it would save you the time of making something.

Post a Comment