Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Weighed Down

I have been so busy, typing up recipes and uploading pictures was been a huge hassle. School and life have had a large grab on me. I have a pile of recipes saved as drafts that I want to share. The good news is that I have been working on the reversible mittens and burp cloths.

After doing a little research, I have found that most moms feel like newborn socks work a lot better than the mittens sold at the stores. The drawback is the excess treads left inside the sock when making the design on the outside. These strands can get caught on infant fingers. Also the band of the mitten works better that the elastic in store brand mittens.

I do not know how or have the time to start darning socks. So I picked up a few from the dollar barrel to work with. I think I have a design figured out and ready to go for this season.To the right is the Frankenstein Project prototype.

The burp cloths are in a rougher stage. My first plan included a lot of ribbons. Most ribbons are not that soft. The large ribbon I had found, I didn't even want on my face. So I scratched that idea. The next idea is to use fabrics to decorate. In the photo to the left, you can see what I have had sitting around. Everything has been hand-stitched on.

I have not done a lot of decorative stitching lately, so my stitchery is a little off. I had a cute design planned but after stitching the final pieces on, it looked a little cheap and frayed, as can be seen in the picture to the right. The overall plan is not that bad. I just need a sewing machine. I think the first couple of sales will go towards so sort of sewing machine. I desperately need one! That way, I can get those letters on neater and tighter and hopefully no fraying!!

So we are going back to the drawing board, especially since I am planning on using variations in The Elly Collection and Ms. Elly will be arriving shortly!

Also, I think it is a great time to mention we have officially hit 500 blog visits!! Thank you for all the support and interest in my ventures. I figure enough of you like what I have to say, so I am gonna take the time to PROMOTE! If you like the crafty projects I post here please, check out my artfire shop, and my blog for Nine14 Design. Oh, and tell your friends too!

3 comments:

Heather said...

LOL, when I saw the picture on facebook I totally thought you made those mittens yourself. :P I still really like the idea! We got some mittens for Elly at our baby shower and I really wasn't sure about them. They look like they aren't going to last her more than a month.

I also really like the burp cloth. I think the not perfect stitches and the frays make it look neat and childlike, which I think is great for a baby burp cloth. I think it's cute :)

Also, congrats on the 500 blog visits! That's awesome!

Ashley Armstrong Krueger said...

Most newborn mittens are to protect from scratching and not really for warmth in the autumn and winter months. Those aren't finished. I want to add a more finished look. I also have a pumpkin pair I am working on. As of right now I am thinking of listing them for $2 or $3 a pair.

Heather said...

I have to admit that when we first opened the mittens I had no idea what they were for, but then we talked about it in our Baby Basics class we took. I still feel like yours are much better, the ones we got have a really tight elastic band that I could barely even stretch over my thumb... again, maybe I'm just naive about babies. :-/

I looove pumpkins, so I am very excited to see those! :)

Post a Comment