Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pass/Fail?

So last night was my birthday and I decided to try a side dish from the Lopez Family Traditions book. It was a zucchini casserole. I don't know whether I messed up or the recipe is just yuck!

I made a mini version of it because there was only two of us and we didn't need 13X9 pan full of some stuff we have never eaten before. I grated one medium sized summer squash and squeezed the excess juices out. As I began layering, I sprinkled garlic salt and pepper. I continued following all the directions as listed. Instead of the whole can of evaporated milk, I used just half of it. I used only half of the required amount of squash, so i figured only half the amount of milk would be needed. I put the finishing layer of cheddar on the top and popped this sucker in the oven.

Once it was done I pulled it out. It looked like it was a good consistency, not runny and not dry. The cheese had melted nicely. The topping had a nice crust to it. I took a bite and I just didn't know how to react. It wasn't horrible, but it definitely was not what I was expecting. The zucchini was super mushy and bland. The evaporated milk looked not as thick it should be. So might have something to do with it. I just think I am not going to use evaporated milk again. This isn't the depression, we dont need milk with a long shelf life.

I am really on the fence about it. BK liked it, but he works fires and can go 14 days eating MRE's and/or off a mule train. I would rate myself on this recipe but, I can not remember ever eating this at any family gatherings. It will probably be a long while before I try this recipe again! But the burgers and calcots made up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment