Rainbow Angel Food Cake
- 1 box white angel food cake mix
- 1 tsp grated lemon or orange peel
- liquid food coloring colors
- 1 c Rich Creamy frosting
- Move oven rack to lowest position (remove other racks). Heat oven to temperature on box.
- Prepare cake as directed, being sure to add in lemon peel.
- Divide batter evenly among 4 bowls. Gently fold in food coloring to each batter to achieve desired colors .
- Layer colored batter in an ungreased 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan. (Do not use fluted tube cake pan or 9-inch angel food pan or batter will overflow.)
- Gently run a knife through layered batter to break up large air pockets.
- Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until top is dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry and not sticky. Do not underbake.
- Immediately turn pan upside down onto glass bottle until cake is completely cool, about 2 hours.
- Run knife around edges of cake; remove from pan to serving plate
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the frosting into microwavable bowl. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until thin enough to drizzle over cake.