The summer before starting this blog I worked at a 1950's style hot dog and ice cream joint! The dogs were steamed all beef franks and the ice cream was hand scooped with loved. One of my favorite weekly specials was our BBQ Bacon Cheese Dog! It was so good that I often try to recreate the flavors at home. When Influenster tasked me with create a unique nacho recipe using some OreIda tots, for some reason all I could think about was using the ingredients for my beloved BBQ Bacon Cheese Dogs.
Some grilled dogs, crispy bacon, gooey cheese, salty OreIda Tater Tots, and a drizzle of BBQ makes up an awesome platter of Totchos! I prefer the OreIda brand Tots to other brands because the flavor is perfect. It is the best balance of crispy, salty goodness on the outside and soft potato-y inside.
This Totchos recipe was an instant hit around here! It is super simple and a quick weeknight dinner idea. The first night we ate these was during a hockey game while enjoying beers. It is for sure to be a great dish for the upcoming "Big Bowl Game"!
BBQ Bacon Dog Totchos
- 4 hot dog franks (I prefer all beef)
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 pkg OreIda TaterTots
- 16 oz pkg shredded cheddar cheese
- BBQ sauce
- 1 medium onion
- sour cream (optional for serving)
- Preheat oven to 425*F and prepare the Tater Tots according to the package directions.
- While the tots are cooking pan fry and crumble the bacon, then set aside. Cut franks into half inch chunks or "half moons" and brown. Set aside.
- Once tater tots are finished cooking, arrange half in the bottom of a oven safe dish. Layer on half of the meats and onion, and then 3/4 c. cheese. Drizzle with BBQ sauce. Repeat saving 1/2 c. of cheese.
- Return the oven and bake for another few minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven sprinkle on remaining cheese and serve! Garnish with optional sour cream if desired.