Thursday, June 23, 2011

Keeping Busy

While our men are at the Wallow Fire in Arizona and New Mexico, Jayde and I have been trying to keep ourselves busy. We decided to hike the Elden Lookout Trail up Mt. Elden in the Northeast corner of Flagstaff.

I had every intention of finishing the 6 mile hike. I mean 6 miles is usually nothing for me. About 30 minutes into it, we had to turn around though. I have been issues with the dry environment and all week the mornings have been filled with bloody noses. That morning was bloody nose free so I thought it was gonna work out well.

First off, I wasn't expecting the trail to be so rough or climb as fast as it did. But I was keeping up. About 15 minutes in, one nostril started up. I hiked through it. Then it really started gushing and coming down my throat. YUCK. At about 30 minutes, the other nostril started going. Not good! So we turned around. By the time we were back at the car, I was beat. My legs were tense and throbbing and breathing sucked (which may have been from the blocked nostrils).

I have never been unable to finish a hike! Even when I was dying on the backpacking trip, I still made it out of the Fossil Springs area. So now I am on a path to build up some endurance and make it a point to try and hike this bad boy. It is 3 miles to the top and it climbs 2400 ft in those 3 miles. That averages out to a 800 ft increase in elevation every mile. I'll have my work cut out for me, but I am determined!

No comments:

Post a Comment