Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wedding Wednesday//Flowers


This week I have been thinking a lot about decorations and flowers. Now that we have officially decided to make Tlaquepaque our venue, we can plan out and make a time line and budget for the rest of our wedding. Since the venue is pretty much decorated on its own (check out the Flickr) this decreases the need for too many extra flowers as well.

This decision has led me to think up centerpieces and decorations using almost entirely succulents. I mainly chose these plants because they come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors, and they require little water. That equates to cheap, beautiful, non wilted centerpieces and bouquets.

It will be somewhat of a challenge because while the decorations will be entirely succulent variations, I want to add some sort of blooming flower for bouquets and boutonnieres. Succulents can be fragile and can be crushed easily (too much hugging). Using flowers for boutonnieres will cut down the likelihood of crushing. Also, our main colors are leaning towards darker, fall hues like burgundy, dark orange, and plum. Having some flowers in those colors will break up the matchy-matchiness of solely succulents. I love the look of the bouquet to the right. If I were designing it though, I would look for something more varied, and not so much light blue.

A major selling point for me, and a huge reason I am pushing for succulents, is the fact that they are so easy to grow. They can be transplanted in 2-3 weeks and look gorgeous. My father happens to be one of the best succulent growers I have seen and he simply does it as a hobby (Yeah thats right my tough, construction working, Harley riding father grows gardens). I plan on transplanting them in smaller pots when we visit to see how they do. If I can get a varied and abundant collection of succulents growing, we wont have to spend too much on a florist.

Throughout the past 3 months, I have had a vision of what I want our tables to look like. While it is a blurry vision, it is still a vision. This idea has been shaped by the location (Sedona, which is high desert) and Tlaquepaque's decorations. There are terracotta pots throughout the whole location, and just an overall rustic feel. I while back, I found the picture below and it almost exactly represents the look I am envisioning for our tables.

As always, thanks for following us on our wedding planning journey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment